I'm Amy, a stay-at-home mom by day and a crafter by night. After a day of chasing my kids around the house, I escape to my craft room for a few hours of creating while they sleep. Thanks for joining me in my little corner of the crafting world!

Monday, January 21, 2013

Cork and Chalkboard Valentine

Happy Monday!  I spent part of the weekend working on the reorganization project in my craft room, but I managed to carve out a little time late last night to put together a card for a couple of challenges at Splitcoast Stampers.  The Ways to Use It challenge asked us to use cork on a card.  I have a big roll of cork but I never think to use it on my cards, so this was a fun challenge.  

The other challenge I tried is a new one to me, the Fan Club Central Theme challenge.  This month's theme is "dirty laundry", and let me tell you, this one hits close to home for me!  The only way to access my craft room is through the laundry room, so I have to walk past Mount St. Laundry whenever I want to make a card!  One of the options was to make a card using color combinations from the clothes in our laundry baskets.  I surveyed my laundry and noticed a lot of black and red, so I decided to use those colors for this card (and white, in honor of the big pile of towels my kids used for their baths!).  

I also have a "dirty little secret" (another challenge option): I used a little piece of plain old Scotch tape to clean up the extra bits of embossing powder that stuck to my black card stock before I heat embossed it.  I've found it pulls away the excess powder much cleaner than the brush I usually use.  I also used Scotch tape to hold the twine in place on the back of my red panel.  That stuff is handy!

Here's my card:



I started by die cutting the cork to make a frame, then set it aside to make my chalkboard (to see more about the chalkboard technique, please see this post).  I stamped my image and sentiment in white craft ink on black card stock, then heat embossed them using white embossing powder.  I sponged white craft ink over the panel and rubbed it with a towel to create the look of eraser marks.  I adhered the black panel to the cork frame, then attached the framed piece to a panel of Real Red card stock.  I wrapped red and white baker's twine around the red panel and secured it with Zots and a decorative white button.  Finally, I attached the red panel to a heavy white card base.  

I'm really excited by this month's Fan Club challenges ("laundry" is normally a dirty word at my house, no pun intended!) and look forward to trying other options in the challenges.

Thanks for stopping by today!

Products Used:

Ink: Craft White (Stampin' Up!)
Stamps: Heart (Stampabilities); Be My Valentine (Hambo Stamps)
Paper: Classic Crest Solar White 110 lb. card stock (Neenah); 
Real Red card stock (Stampin' Up!);  black card stock (unknown)
Tools and Accessories: Stampin' Emboss Powder White (Stampin' Up!); frame die (Sizzix);
Zots (Therm-O-Web); baker's twine (purchased from Strands Etcetera on Etsy); cork; button

3 comments:

  1. The scotch tape trick is clever! I will have to try that next time I emboss! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great card! Don't know if I'm going to try the chalkboard technique but love the results people are getting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this creative card, Amy! As soon as I saw this, I thought of an old fashioned classroom slate. I can just picture a boy writing this message on the board and sharing it with one of the girls sitting in the class! What a great job thinking outside the box.
    Thanks for the Congrats on my DD assignment! It is very much appreciated!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments!